Students that participate in Prior Learning Assessment can use these credits for earning their degree. Prior learning assessment (PLA) awards college credit, certification or advanced standing for a student’s non-academic experiences and training.
How Does It Work?
- Access the Prior Learning Assessment Manual for information on policies, procedures, and eligibility requirements.
- Meet with an advisor to request a credit assessment.
- Enroll in an LSC academic program.
- Provide official documentation (transcripts, license/certification, portfolio etc.) supporting the request for PLA credit.
- Advisors/Counselors verify eligibility and submit assessment requests for evaluation.
- If a student meets all eligibility criteria, credit is awarded.
- American Council on Education (ACE)
- Continuing Education Articulation
- External Challenge Exams
- High School Articulation
- Internal Challenge Exams
- Licensure or Industry Certification
- Non-Regionally Accredited College or University
PLA Criteria and Guidelines
Fees for PLA
|American Council on Education (ACE) Transcript Evaluation||No Fee|
|Continuing Education Articulation||No Fee|
|External Challenge Exam||Fee may apply*|
|High School Articulation Credit/Advanced Technical Credit||No Fee|
|Internal Challenge Exam||$25 per exam|
|Military Transcript Evaluation||No Fee|
|Non-Regionally Accredited College or University Transcript Evaluation||$25 per transcript|
|Portfolio Credit||$60 per portfolio|
*A fee of $25 per assessment will be charged for any additional faculty evaluation needed.