It is very common for students to think that an online class is easier than a face-to-face one. However, many find the opposite is true.
Before signing up for an online class:
- Have Internet access and a working computer with speakers and a microphone.
- Considering your motivation, self-discipline and home support system.
- Evaluate your time, your level of self-motivation and how savvy you are with technology.
- Find out about the support services available and who to contact.
- Set aside a time and place for study.
- View the Good Start Checklist.
Is Online Learning for you?
Before you enroll in an online course, take some time to assess your current skill sets that are essential for the successful online student.
- SmarterMeasure is an assessment that will give you an idea of your strengths in various components. Use the following login and password to access:
Lone Star College Advising and Registration Resources
Once students have completed the admissions and advising process, the next step is registration. The Advising process is an integral part of your academic success.
- Advising Services for Online Students
- Do not hesitate to contact us if you need additional assistance. We're here to help you!
D2L Student Orientation for Online Courses
All online course activities like taking a quiz, turning in an assignment, and online discussions are done through Desire2Learn (D2L), LSC's Learning Management System.
Students enrolled in online and hybrid courses are required to complete a D2L Student Orientation for Online Courses before having access to their courses in the D2L Learning Management System. In D2L, you will find the orientation listed in your course list.
To access the D2L Student Orientation for Online Courses:
- Login to myLoneStar
- Click on LSC-Online (Online Classes) to view your online courses.
- Click Go to D2L Courses
- Click the tile entitled Student Orientation for Online Courses (Image may vary) in the My Courses area. You may also click the Select a Course icon in the Minibar and select the Online Student Orientation.
Students taking online and hybrid courses at Lone Star College can access the online tutoring center, writing lab, and study center from the myLoneStar portal. Online tutoring is available 24/7 with access to practice quizzes, flashcards, an online writing center, and more.
- Login to myLoneStar
- Click on LSC-Online (Online Classes).
- Click Online Tutoring
See also Brainfuse Online Tutoring.