Students must complete the orientation successfully, with a score of 80% or better, before they are permitted to access their fully online or hybrid courses. Students who have not successfully completed the orientation have a “hold” on their D2L account – the hold is released when the orientation quiz is completed with an 80% or better score.
Students can retake the quiz until they attain a score of 80% or better.
Once your orientation quiz is completed with a score of 80% or better, your certificate appears as an Announcement and the hold is released.
What Is the Student Orientation for Online Courses?
- A short online orientation (about 1 hour) that prepares students to understand:
- What’s different about taking courses online versus in the classroom
- How to navigate the learning management system
- How to adjust study habits to promote success in online courses
- Additional resources at Lone Star that are available when students need help
Who Should Complete the Student Orientation for Online Courses?
- All students enrolled in fully online and hybrid courses are required to complete the Student Orientation for Online Courses before being able to access their courses in D2L.
- The Student Orientation for Online Courses is designed for quick completion—usually in less than an hour.
How Does the Student Orientation for Online Courses Work?
To access the Student Orientation for Online Courses:
- Login to myLoneStar and click on the [LSC Online] tile.
- Click on the [Brightspace D2L] tile. The D2L Homepage will open in a new tab.
- You will be on your D2L Homepage. On your course list, click on the [Student Orientation for Online Courses] tile.
- On the course homepage, click on [Content] and follow the on-screen instructions to begin the Online Student Orientation process.
- Work through the material in the Student Orientation for Online Courses through the navigation: [Start Here: Orientation] -> [Orientation Lesson]. Take the [Orientation Quiz] when you are finished with the lesson.
NOTE: After you successfully score an 80% or higher on the assessment, you will be able to access your courses on or after the course start date. You will NOT be able to access your D2L course before the course's start date.
Do I Have to Take the Student Orientation for Online Courses Every Semester?
- No. Students who have completed the orientation will not have to take it again until there is a major change in the course delivery system.
For Technical Assistance Call: 1-866-614-5014